Professional
Long Arm
Quilting Services

Monday, September 23, 2013

Southwestern Quilt

One of Laurie's favorite local quilt shops is Quilts Etc. in Sandy, Utah. Our family likes to joke that she  is like Norm from the TV show Cheers; she walks in the door and they all call out her name, "Laurie!" Really, they do all know her name (them and the workers at Wendy's where she stops to get her diet cokes) but that's because they are great! Anyways, one of the classes that she takes there is a Block of the Month class which really is so much fun! They don't tell you what the theme will be for the upcoming year and you don't see the blocks before hand. They have a few different color ways that you can choose from but they all fall within that years theme. At the end of the year, you have to figure out a way to put all your blocks together so that your finished quilt will, hopefully, be a bit different from everyone else's. 
Well, I just love how she chose to put hers together! I really like how she did a diamond sashing in between the rows and added a bunch of teal on the sides to tie all the blocks together. She always thinks of amazing ways to finish her quilts up! 
The quilting that she did on this was so much fun! I love the little Kokopelli guys that she did in each of the corners to look like they are dancing around the quilt. As I am writing this, I can't believe I didn't take pictures of the back of the quilt to show you! She did it in minky so the quilting really stands out. I will have to grab a picture just as soon as I can. 

The very first quilt I made was done through this same Block of the Month class 5 years ago and now I am hooked! I really think it's the best way to learn some basic techniques for beginners. 

Do you have any fun Block of the Month quilts that you've been working on? I'd love to see! Leave a link in my comments if you want so I can check them out!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

That quilting really is amazing!